this is my life

The world according to Chelsea.

Monday, July 11, 2005

Alcohol--an all around bad idea

Well, this weekend I was at my cousin's wedding (which is why I was not home). She got married to this guy who is about 6'7"or so. If my cousin were the height of an average female (I think that's about 5'5" or 5'6"), then they probably wouldn't look too silly together. However, she is from my mom's side of the family, and no one on that side is over 5'4". She has got to be at least 17" shorter than her husband. Actually, it's kind of funny.

But, that is not what this post is about. This post is about the damaging effects of alcohol on the body and mind. Okay, you got me, it's about this weekend and how it was just one more example of why my wedding will not have an open bar!

There are three kinds of drinkers in this world besides alcoholics.
1) The crazy, on the boarder of alcoholism drinkers that do stupid things.
2) The, "I don't drink very often, but when I do, I don't remember it." drinker.
and 3) The "social drinker."
You're probably asking yourself, "Does she have any real-life examples of these three--non-alcoholics--drinkers?" Well, perhaps I do. Let's start with numero uno (that means number one, I think)--the crazy, on the boarder of alcoholism drinkers that do stupid things. I saw that drinker this weekend. It was a sad sight. Dinner started at 5:30, but people got there around 4:00 (for the wedding, that is). There were hors d' oeurves offered, but no alcohol until after the dinner. Well, number one decided that he/she couldn't wait until after dinner. Now, I want you to take a minute and guess what number one did.............(that's about a minute). He/she got some hard liquor and spiker his/her Coke. You can imagine what he/she was like at the end of the night. Actually, he/she was dancing with a relative (not the normal "I'm related to you" dancing, but a deleted scene from "Dirty Dancing: the relative version"). It was sick. That's all I'm going to say about that!

Now, number two--the, "I don't drink very often, but when I do, I don't remember it" drinker, had a story that was similar to, but different from number one. He/she did not start drinking until the bar was open. You see, he/she had had a long day (He/she was in charge of a big part of the wedding and things didn't go as well as he/she would have liked). He/she drank beer like it was water and he/she was a camel! Everytime I turned around, he/she was getting a new drink. I tried to say goodbye to him/her before I left, but he/she was having a "heart to heart" with a friend (I'm pretty sure none of the "heart to heart" made any sense at all because I heard most of it). I'd say there's a ninety-nine percent chance that he/she won't remember any part of that night!

Finally, number three--the "social drinker." This person was actually kind of funny to me. For, he/she had an underage son/daughter that was very intoxicated. Most parents wouldn't let this happen in the first place; however, he/she explained to me that when his/her son/daughter is sober, he/she never wants to talk about anything, but when the son/daughter is drunk, he/she lets loose with his/her feelings. Doesn't that make perfect sense? I mean, who doesn't want their child (underage child) to be completely wasted so that they can have a talk about how they feel? Man, that's such a good idea!................Okay, I'm done being sarcastic now.

Those three drinkers and those three cases from this past weekend are three more reasons why I say YES to non-alcohol weddings. Yeah for sparkling apple juice!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:16 AM, Blogger [ brooke ] said…

    That's the classy thing these days.. Give your kids whisky and they will spill out their feelings! Someone spiked their coke? They must've been drunk and hyper at the same time. Yowza, that's gotta be scary! I'm glad you and your immediate family came out alive.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home