this is my life

The world according to Chelsea.

Friday, October 13, 2006

PLEASE WALK



Slow down! Take it easy! Chill.
Okay, now that I've slowed down a bit, let me see what I can get out of myself so that this thing can be updated. Before I do that, can I just say that the guy in front of me is giving the perfect example of what I have felt like. He's at Dunn Brothers trying to enjoy his Orange Juice while doing homework. How is he doing his homework? His face is on top of his book and his eyes are definately closed. What a multi tasker! Oh wait, what's this...he gets a phone call. Ah yes, you can't forget about being social.
Well, it's been kind of crazy. There are just too many things available these days. You know exactly what I'm talking about, so don't even act like you don't. Why can't there just be a list of like ten things for each person that they are qualified to do. They can then pick one thing from that list, and do one thing at a time. Hmmm....thinking....thinking....no. My brain has just told me that as nice as it would be to not make my own decisions, that's dangerously close to communism. I'm not a fan. Oh well. So school rocks. I'm learning to love homework and hate sleep. No, you're right, I was lying. I still love sleep. I just do less homework. Actually, college isn't a big homework kind of thing (unless you count reading as homework). I pretty much wait until I think I've had enough sleep and am not in class, then I do my homework. It's working out alright...except that I have a paper that needs to be written on Tuesday...and I had an exam today that went well (except for this one question that I had no clue on. If you want to know how much of the test the question was worth, you'll have to ask me--that's just not something that should be public knowledge)...and I'm a couple fiversixersevenerso days behind on my journaling. Like I said, I think it's working out.
Serious time: I know that I need to cut some things back, so I dropped one thing completely and cut back in another area. I think I'll be okay. If anyone is feeling like I am being a jerk or ignoring them or that I just plain and simple hate them, well, you're probably wrong. Just ask my family, I never talk to anyone (it's not just you). Speaking of my family, I'm sad because I can't go home this weekend. On the bright side, my dad is coming down for my grandma's birthday. I get to see him and my grandma and my aunt and even possibly my mom. Yea! I'm not coming home for Fall Break (Oct. 19-22). However, I am going to, hopefully, join the Rev. at Youth Convention on Friday. I would go with them on Thursday, but I'm doing some serious working that weekend, and Friday was the only day I set aside to not work (kind of like the Sabbath except...different).
Wow, my brain is going crazy right now. Please walk. Sorry. Walking.
I've been doing a WISE (don't ask me what that stands for) class for the ELED program. It's cool. I get to go to a classroom and help out a teacher. Right now I'm actually working with two teachers. One teaches an ESL (English as a Second Language) class that I help with, and the other teaches a first grade class. I go to the ESL classroom three times a week for a half hour each time. I really like it (partly because it's great experience if I want to teach overseas and partly because there are only three kids in the class--easy crowd control). Today was actually my first time in the first grade classroom. Um...yeah...first graders...enough said. Even though that probably was all I needed to say, I'm going to say more (sorry). When I got there, they were working on a graph or something. There was a lot of paste and a lot of paper scraps. The teacher asked if I would take a student and work with them independantly on counting and stuff. Well, I seriously love math and was excited to work with a student in math. Before I even found out which student she wanted me to help, she asked if I could handle two students. Um, hello! I'm Chelsea. I can handle whatever you can dish! Yeah, I've OBVIOUSLY never taught first graders! So I said sure and took two girls out to the "volunteer table" to work on counting. One, two, three is probably all they remember counting to. At least it's all I remember counting to. They wanted to play the math game. Then they didn't want to play because they were losing. Then they wanted to get a drink. Then they didn't want to be friends. Then they wanted to hug and make up. Then they wanted to play math bingo. Then they wanted to run around. Then they wanted to dance and yell. Then they wanted to touch all of the kids walking by. Then they wanted to pout in the corner. Then they HAD to go to the bathroom or else they were going to pee their pants. Then they wanted to play the game. Then they wanted to run down to the office. Then they thought it would be fun to climb on the railing and wanted to jump off. Um...yeah...first graders...enough said. Those girls had so much energy that I'm suprised they didn't explode! As crazy as it was, I had fun. They were sweet girls and just wanted to have fun. They could care less about math. Actually, I feel like I did more teaching on listening and sitting in chairs and not talking than I did about math. The most productive thing we did was count to 100 (I told them that if they could get all the way to 100 without getting out of their seats and without stopping that they could have a bathroom break). Good times, good times. Moral of the story: stick to upper elementary school kids.
Well, I have to work in an hour and I have to go to the accounting office and explain that I accidently pushed the "finish giving" button one too many times while doing online giving for missions. They decided to make missions giving a one-time online gift (once during the semester, that is). If only I knew how to work a computer! Let me tell you, the computer sure knows how to work me. Until next time, please walk. Thank-you.
-chel_C

2 Comments:

  • At 5:50 PM, Blogger midnight mama said…

    Funny post. You're the best!

     
  • At 2:02 PM, Blogger Jenni said…

    Fun fun fun! I love reading about little people. So much engergy so little time :)

    tootles! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home