this is my life

The world according to Chelsea.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The few, the proud, the 19

Well, another year has gone by in my short existence here on earth. On Saturday, I became a man...Okay, I became a woman...Okay I became a struggling college student...Okay, all I really did was turn 19. But hey, not everyone can say that, right? I think that 19 is a pretty lousy age. Before I start getting depressed about my means-nothing age, I would like to give a couple shout outs. First, a shout out to my parents (way to go for keeping me alive!-and doing all the amazing things that parents do). Second, a shout out to all of my Sunday School teachers (you guys made me who I am...seriously). Finally (everything good comes in threes), a shout out to all of my incredible friends (all I have to say is you rock!).
Now that I have made my shout outs, I would like to elaborate on why I think 19 is a lousy age. It's not that I had a "bad" birthday (I absolutely loved my birthday this year; I got to be home!). The reason why 19 is a lousy age to turn is because of where it's placed. Allow me to explain (or just turn back now). Turning 18 is a BIG deal. You can do really cool things like vote...um...buy things off of infomercial...and stuff (there are of course the not so cool things: gamble, smoke, watch R rated movies, pay bills by yourself, ect.). When you turn 18 you enter a pseudo adulthood (your not really an adult, they just want you to think you are). It is, however, a huge step. Everyone thinks your cool because you can say that you'll take them to the R rated movie (in reality you just take their money for the ticket and leave). 18 is a sweet year. Then there is 20. That's when things really get cool. You step in to the realm of being alive for more than two decades. It might not come with any legal perks, but being 20 is a statement in itself. It says, "Hey, I'm not a teen anymore. I have been around for a couple of decades, I know a thing or two." When you're 20, people think of you as someone who knows what they're doing (or as someone who thinks they know what they're doing but is actually completely lost). Oh, and the most important thing is that when you turn 20 people can say, "So, you just turned the big 2-0, huh?" No one says, "So, you just turned the big 1-9, huh?" Well, no one who's serious at least.
All I'm saying is this: last year, I had the opportunity to vote. Next year, I will be able to say that I am the "big 2-0." But what about now? What do I get to say about 19? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Nothing becomes legal, I don't become cool. I'm still a teen. I'm still young. I still have my whole life ahead of me. I still have very little responsibility. I still can probably order off of the kids menu if I wanted. The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to like being 19.
For those older than 19, you've been there and understand. For those younger than 19, you'll be there someday, but don't understand right now. For those at 19, congratulations. You are the few, the proud, the 19.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home